4 February 2012

Postcard Experimentation

After the photoshop workshop, I started to think of images I could use, and which would work well with the use of a single colour. I stumbled across some old family photos. I really love this style of photography, and they have a real life to them.
I wanted to reimagine the photos using colour, and I thought that yellow would be a good colour to use, since it reminds me of happiness, and the images to me evoke a really joyful time. 


I started by using the adjustment layers to work on the contrast of the image, so that they yellow would look more effective.


I then looked at ways to incorporate yellow, experimenting with shapes and and the particular colour of yellow to use. 
I think the diamond works well because it really draws the eye in, although I think maybe the diamond shape should be enlarged so it covers a greater area of the image. 

I don't really think the circle works as well, perhaps because I like the geometric style of the diamond, where as this doesn't feel structured. 


Drenched all in yellow doesn't quite look right either, and it doesn't draw the eye like the diamond.


After resizing the diamond, I've decided to use this shape, I think it works well against the black and white image, and it frames the subjects well. 






For the back of the postcard, I want to create a mini typographical poster, similar to the style above, because they are taken from a similar era to when the photographs were taken. 
I want to use several different typefaces and create something that mirrors the style of the images. 







I'm really happy with this as the back of the postcard, and I think that together the designs compliment each other. 


I'm really happy with the finished postcards, although I would have liked to experiment more with stock. 



No comments:

Post a Comment