8 October 2012

Packaging Workshop - Creating the Products

I am basing my packaging on the Selfridges logo. I think the branding is visually strong, thanks to the use of bold colours and typeface, and I think it works well for the luxury department store, as it remains neutral enough to be transferrable to their many departments. The strong yellow they use is now also a key signifier for the brand, and a clever piece of marketing. 

I decided to continue designing with the idea of using a grosgrain ribbon to present the logo, but instead of embroidering the brand onto the ribbon, which was (i felt, at least) a nice idea, which would reinforce the sense of luxury, I have decided to use image transfer to print the logo onto the ribbon. The embroidery would have been quite a task to undertake by myself, without very much sewing experience, and I didn't have a lot of time to practise. 


The image transfer onto the grosgrain ribbon has produced varying results, and obviously with more time I would have tried a little harder to perfect it, but for the purpose of a mock up, I think people will get the gist of what I'm trying to achieve. I chose a similar yellow for the ribbon as I wanted the actual net to be black on the outside, and if I were to be designing this properly for the brand, then I would like to print onto a thick glossy stock. I would also like the interior to be the strong yellow, to add further visual interest.

Below are the images of the nets, and the products I used to create them. 















They are all incredibly simplistic, and although I would have liked to have pushed myself, I would prefer to turn in a product that looks well done, as opposed to an experimental piece that I probably for the life of me would not have been able to design properly. In past experiences, nets have not been good to me. However, for the overall design of the packaging, simple is probably best anyway, as the luxury aesthetic I am aiming for is based in the design being sleek and simple. 



No comments:

Post a Comment