15 November 2012

Design for Print Development

I started working on a different layout today after deciding that the other layout I had been working on wasn't very stylish or able to communicate all the information I had as the layout felt more like a magazine, and not like something that would be used to advise and be taken seriously. I do still like the use of simple illustrations though, like the colour ones I was working with, so I will still use them in my publication. 

I decided to choose the simplest section to begin working on in terms of content and illustrations, so I chose substrates and format. I will then use the layout I have created as a loose template for how the rest of my book will look. 

I began with the illustrations for paper weight/thickness. 



Out of these two, I think that the second one works better, as it communicates the thickness and also shows what the different papers are used for. It is larger but overall more compact as it contains the information instead of having to place it elsewhere. 

I like the layout I have created as it contains a lot but still feels quite clean and simple. The use of futura and georgia together is a bit of a contrast, but hopefully it works as I like the balance between the modern and the more traditional typefaces, and it still feels simple even though I am using two different fonts.




More illustrations and images based on format, clean and simple again so it remains consistent. 


















This layout is a little more bare than the other page, but I think it still works well, and is again consistent with the other page.

No comments:

Post a Comment