23 January 2013

Individual Practice: App Icon

To accompany the app I am making, I need to make an icon that would be appear on the phone/tablet menu screen that relates to it in a way that is visually eye catching and relates to the actual app.

Examples of Popular App Icons

Examples of Fashion App Icons




The app icons I have found all seem to be very simple, although a lot of the fashion and lifestyle apps seems to be quite sober and black, which is probably due to the fact that it is classically fashionable. The only ones to really stand out are the ASOS icon and the the Fab icon, because of colour and type. 
With the Very Icon, I want to achieve a balance between their love of bright colours, and something that looks stylish and appealing when placed amongst a large number of other apps. 
Their main app Icon currently is very bright, but not very stylish. 









I want to focus on using the V of the Very logo, as it is bold and the typeface means that it is easily recognisable. I don't want the icon to have too much going on, as this will just make it seem too busy and unreadable, so I now want to experiment with digital ideas to see what works best. 






The final icon I have gone with uses the pale pink and the black of the colour scheme in the app, which means it remains cohesive and identifiable, and I also felt that this looked a lot more stylish and classy than the apps where I was trying to work with the bright Very pink. I also think just using the V works well on it's own as it has a stronger impact, and because the type used is part of the logo it still looks easy to identify.

No comments:

Post a Comment