21 January 2013

Responsive: Secret 7"



I've decided to enter the several of the Secret 7" competition briefs as I really like the musicians that are taking part in it, and also because I want to make up for last year when I wanted to enter but didn't due to a lack of confidence in my ideas.

The first of my entries will be for Elton John's Bennie and The Jets.


In terms of his previous LP covers, there isn't a lot of inspiration as most of them are very photographic and a little bit, well, retro tacky, but I really like his 21 at 33 cover, because it's so bright and geometric, and it feels quite stylish and classic. 







It's a really upbeat song, and the lyrics are quite wacky, so I want to try using a fun, Hanna Barbera style of illustration, similar to this design I found.  

At the moment my main idea has been to pick up on the electric boots part of the lyrics, although I may experiment with other parts of the song too. 





I'm quite pleased with the way it's coming together, although I'm unsure which colour would be most appropriate. Yellow seems most obvious but the pastel colours also work well. I'm also undecided between the pattern and the single pair of boots.
Gonna try and get some feedback on them and then do a little bit more work on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment