25 January 2012

Menu Development

These are just some experimentations I am working on for the menu.
I'm trying to look at involving a pattern, possibly using typography, and I thought a good starting point would be some japanese phrases linked to Japanese dining etiquette. 

I tried experimenting with size and layout on illustrator. 
Green and red are colours that work well together, and they are also bright and bold, as are most colours related to Japanese culture, such as in Magma designs. The typeface I've used here is Kilogram, and it's quite strong and cartoony, which again links to japanese culture, but it depends if this works with the audience I am wanting to appeal to. 
Although there are some elements of the pattern I like, I'm not sure if it would work on any product I am creating, and it's possibly too repetitive. 

I then tried to simplify the idea, using the text in a more centralised way, and not really including a pattern. 
I still used the colours I had experimented with previously, as I do think they look good.
I tried text overlay using Ranger, as it recreates the Habbo Hotel style of illustration often associated with the Japanese, but again, if I look to aim at young professionals, then maybe my work should look sleeker and more minimal. It also looks quite different than the work I had done on my logo, and I do want everything to look more cohesive. 




At the moment this menu front and back is just an idea, but I think it looks ok, even if I'm not 100% happy with it. Maybe if it was on a different colour stock it might look more professional, but at the moment it seems a bit half finished and cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment