31 January 2012

Napkin Development

I wanted to create some designs for napkins, as the information I wanted to communicate - about japanese eating etiquette - worked well with this format due to the use of napkins before and after eating. 




I really like the designs of these napkins, because they are all similar not in terms of brand, but in their tone. They're all cool, but jokey and unlike plain napkins, interesting to look at. 
I particularly like the design of the Brooklyn Fare napkin, with it's use of text to create a pun. The designs all seem to utilise most of the space of the napkin, but I think I'd prefer to just use a small part of the space. 


My ideas are to either make the text appear as it would in a phrase book, with translations, or more in keeping with the logo design, have the design in red and white and based around a circle. 


These are my final designs. 
I feel like they work well, and I intend to print them onto the front and back of a napkin, so one side would be before and one side would be after. 
The use of the circle is again integral to the design, and reflects the brand and the Japanese flag, reiterating the style of cuisine. 



I have used a mixture of texts to create more of an interest, and I think the use of the japanese symbols definitely helps to make it stand out, and create something more interesting to look at. 

I am having trouble thinking of how to print onto a napkin though, and if it doesn't work out, I will print onto a napkin ring, which I think would work well as a format because it will make the presentation of the takeaway food a little more formal, and more in keeping with the young professional feel. 


I've lined up the 2 facts onto a small sheet that will be put together like a belly band. I will hopefully be able to print this onto cardboard or something similar to the stock I want to use for my chopsticks packaging, like a thick sugar paper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment