19 March 2012

Stamp Design Development

After the crit on Friday, I learnt that the one idea people wanted me to explore more was using type as image. I had been playing with the idea of minimise and maximise, and with some typefaces you can create a downward facing arrow with the 2 Ms, and I thought this would be quite an interesting thing to explore, I was just unsure how clear the message of sustainability would be with it, so now I want to look at the ways you can use the text to show more obviously the intention of the stamp. 

I created a clipping mask using an image of a large factory, so that the message would be a little bit clearer, as it connotes to the reader that the fossil fuels are something to minimise. But the colours and the photograph look wrong somehow, and it probably wouldn't be clear enough to the audience anyway what the image actually is, especially on a small scale. 



The image in these 2 designs is clearer, but the arrow created by the 2 Ms gets lost in the photograph, which defeats the point of the text. I still don't like the colours being used either. 


I prefer this sort of design, where the type and the arrow are very clear, and the simplicity of the background reiterates the message of minimising consumption. 

However, I'm still not very happy with any of these designs. 

Again I've steered clear of using any actual facts or tips because from researching stamps it's quite clear that image is preferred over text, or just a very small amount of text, because of how small the scale is, and if you are just glancing at something you want information to be clear and concise. 

I'm going to continue experimenting with different use of the word minimise, because so far that is where my strongest ideas have been. 

No comments:

Post a Comment