20 March 2012

What is a Line? Front Cover Design Ideas

The idea for my what is a line brief is centred around television in the 90's, what I like to think of as a golden age in comedy - Friends, Frasier, The Fresh Prince of Belair and the Simpsons, are all to be commemorated in a collection of mini booklets celebrating quotes from the shows. 
As they are being packaged together, I am planning on the packaging being a small box, similar in style to this.

I want to reference the idea of it being the golden age of television, and of course I need to reference the fact that the booklets are based on TV. 
My idea is to produce a vector graphic of a retro TV set, with the screen housing the titles of the book. To make this feel more like a collectors edition product, I want the packaging to be screen printed and foiled gold, which I am hoping to do at some point this week.


At first I toyed around with the idea of having this image screen printed onto the front, but then thought more and decided that this image doesn't really represent anything positive about TV, it just looks cheap and bleak. 


Instead, I found this image of TV set, and decided to play around with it on illustrator. 



These were all created with live trace, but I'm not sure if they would look good screen printed, or whether they look a little cheap and tacky. I want it to feel more professional than these appear to me, but maybe with the right text they could work. 

This typeface doesn't really fit with the more sketchy image, although I do like the typeface on it's own. 

Whilst this typeface fits with the 90's aesthetic a little more, it still doesn't work with the television set. 

Too retro.
Possibly too modern. 




I then thought about the idea of working with a more classic typeface that would connote to the viewer more the idea of this product being a commemoration, and I think this could work well with the gold foiling, but again, I'm not sure if this would work with the graphic style. 




I feel better about this illustration I've created. It's simpler, and also I think would come out better in screen printing. 


This is some text I created to be placed onto the packaging as well, which I thought might work well. I'm quite pleased with how this looks, because I think it balances the idea of being retro and modern. 



I'm actually happy with how these final images are looking, and I think it was a good idea to have the additional text placed at the bottom in a sans serif typeface because that references the 90's in a more obvious way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment