20 April 2012

Pantone Exploration

I found the colour theory sessions we had to be really interesting, but also quite confusing, in terms of people's perception of colour, and the camera's perception of colour. 
I wanted to explore photographing different colourful items around my house and then use the pantone picker on photoshop, to see if there was much difference in my perception of the colours and the pantone pickers. 
In many of the images, I feel that the pantone has picked a duller tone of the colours than I can see in the image, the colours picked out also depend on the lighting in the image, which again raises the idea of colour perception. 

This displays the depth of colour in something that I perceive as a block of just red. The reds are very warm in hue, whilst the green is cooler, but I think that the picker and my perception are quite similar still.

I think the pantones taken from this image are further away from my perception of the colours. When I look at the image, to me all the colours seem quite warm, bold and have more depth, whilst what the pantone has picked up seems very dull. 

This shows the depth of colour that can be present in something that is actually from my perception only one colour. I'm sure if I had continued to pick different parts of the image I could have come up with many more pantone swatches. 

The pantone colours taken from this image feel a little paler than I see them in the image, which may be because of the fact that this image was taken in a darker light, but you can't argue with photoshop's  colour picker.

I love the colours of the flower in the photograph, and I think the pantones picked are quite similar to my perception of the image.

The pantones in this image are quite similar to the image, but the brown seems to be a little darker and duller than the actual colour i see in the photograph. 

I think this final image is probably the closest in terms of mine and the pantone pickers perception of the colours, which could possibly be to do with the fact that this was the image taken closest to a natural source of light. 




No comments:

Post a Comment