31 January 2012

Loyalty Card Development

After discussing ideas for products in the crit, everyone agreed that a loyalty card would be a good idea to create, as it is something useful to both the customer and the establishment, promoting sales and, obviously, loyalty to the brand. I also feel like there is definite scope for design in loyalty cards as well, and there are only a few that have a good design. 


INSPIRATION
Meme Chocolat
This was the only loyalty card I could find for food products online, and I'm not sure whether it works entirely in design, but it does help me to figure out the conventions of the card and give me some ideas as to how to design mine and improve on this. 

Cafe Nero
I think that Cafe Nero's loyalty card probably has the best design, it's simple, in keeping with the brand identity, and the circles to stamp cleverly resemble the birds eye view of cups of coffee. 
Cafe Nero's brand design in general is very appealing to me, as it is understated and luxurious, but still pretty unpretentious, so this is definitely a good source of inspiration. 


McDonalds
In terms of format, the McDonalds loyalty card is a really clever design, utilising the cup insulation sleeve and giving it a second life as the loyalty card, which also reduces waste paper within the company. The design is also really great, with muted colours, use of good typefaces and simple symbols. It appeals to everyone without feeling cheap or like it's design was an afterthought. 

Obviously I am aware that due to the time constraints, and my lack of crafting skills, creating something of a dual format like the McDonalds loyalty card will not be a possibility, so instead I am going to just try to create a loyalty card that works well with the brand identity, and hopefully create something people want to have stamped. 

Like with the rest of my designs, I wanted to keep everything quite minimal, but light hearted, and for the front of the card I really wanted to use some kind of jokey reference so that it would stick in people's minds. 



For the stamp, I just chose to use the circle, in keeping with the logo, and use a large B, as I feel like this communicates the brand the best, as it uses the typeface of the logo and the colour. Keeping it white inside means it is also easily stamped. 





I tried to play around with the typefaces and colour palette a little, and after thinking of some phrases to place on the front, I ended up with 'just be good to me', which I think works well because it references the purpose of the card and it's benefits to both parties, and it also allows use of the B symbol, which reiterates the brand. 
I decided that League Gothic, with the white background and black text, worked best, and fitted in best with the rest of the designs I've been working on.



The back of the card was quite simple to design, because not a lot of information is needed, just the stamps and a little explanation. League Gothic text has been used again, and the pattern of symbols works well, and it is easy to understand the product. 

1 comment: