5 April 2013

Penguin Design Award Mini Evalutation

Name of Brief: Penguin
Time taken to complete: Approx 1 month

The Penguin design brief is definitely the one that I have most enjoyed doing, and the brief that I would most like to complete again next year. I decided to choose the brief as I love to look at book covers and the way they represent the narrative of the novels, and also the interesting processes they can use. It is not something we have had much of a chance to do on the course so far, apart from on a mini brief at the beginning of the first module this year, so I wanted a brief that would give me more time on it.
The main challenge of the brief was identifying the themes and the important aspects of the book that could be reflected in the cover, which meant having to read the book. Surprisingly, I enjoyed the book, which I had assumed I would not because of the crime genre (insert don't judge a book cliche here), and it was really useful to actually be informed before designing.
I am pleased with the design I came up with, although I did feel limited as to what I could do as it is a design for a paperback cover, so interesting processes aren't as common. It was also a challenge to try and think of an interesting and unique way of representing the book, which I hope I have done to an extent, although I am aware that I could have improved on the use of innovation in the design, as I didn't know what would really be appropriate.
I hope that book cover design will become a more prominent part of my design practice in the third year.

No comments:

Post a Comment